Exhibit with us during West 2020!
We are opening our space, the Blue Genie Big Top at 6100 Airport Blvd., to artists during the West Austin Studio Tour (May 9-10 & 16-17). Please read the following guidelines carefully.
- Per the West criteria, these artistic mediums will be accepted: Ceramics, Collage, Design, Digital, Drawing, Graphic Design, Fiber, Furniture, Glass, Jewelry, Painting, Photography, Metal, Mixed Media, Performance, Printmaking, Sculpture, Stone, Textile, Wood, Works on paper. Unfortunately, our venue is not conducive to works in Sound, Lighting, or Video/Film.
- Each artist will be provided with an 8′ x 8′ x 8′ space with walls on three sides. The artist will be solely responsible for setting up & breaking down their exhibit, monitoring their space during the hours of West, and handling all sales.
(Click for images of booth spaces from 2018)
- Artists must also apply to Big Medium and be accepted into West. Our application does not take the place of the official West application provided by Big Medium. Visit www.bigmedium.org/west-participate for more information and to apply.
- Accepted artists must pay a $300 booth fee to Blue Genie Big Top.
- Deadline to apply: February 10, 11:59pm
HOW TO APPLY:
- Complete our application for booth space (deadline: Feb. 10): APPLY HERE
- All applicants will be notified of acceptance status on or before February 12.
Accepted artists will receive important venue information necessary to complete the West application.
- Complete Big Medium’s application for West 2020 (deadline Feb. 26)
- Forward notice of your acceptance into West 2020 to Blue Genie Big Top.
- Once we receive your proof of acceptance into West 2020, you will be invoiced for the $300 booth fee. Fee is due by March 31.
Please read the full guidelines before applying. You can also read our FAQ below.
If you have a question that is not covered in the guidelines, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do I have to participate both weekends?
Participation on both weekends is not required; however, it is preferred. The booth fee is the same whether you choose to participate in one weekend or two.
- Can I share my booth space with another artist?
Yes! You must include information and images for both artists on your application. Both artists must fit the criteria set by Big Medium and apply to be included in West 2020. You will only be charged one booth fee.
- When will we be notified if we’re accepted?
All applicants will be notified by end-of-day on February 12 – this gives you 14 days to complete the official West 2020 application, or find an alternate venue.
- The West 2020 application has a lot of questions about the venue – how do I get this information?
Specific information about our venue will be provided to you in your acceptance email. Please do not apply to West 2020 prior to being accepted at our venue.
- What do the booths look like? I’m having a hard time picturing it…
Images of the space from West 2018 are available here. Each booth includes 3 – 8’ tall x 8’ wide walls and the floor space between the walls. The walls are painted white, but are not in pristine, gallery condition and it is highly recommended that you use paper or fabric to cover the walls.
- Do you have any restrictions on how we display our work? What about extra lighting?
Artists and vendors may attach wall coverings, shelving, and hanging systems to the booth walls with screws, tape, or staples (no nails). You may not use paint on our walls. The venue is very well-lit from overhead; however, you may request electrical access for extra lighting.
- Can I leave my booth set up in between weekends?
Yes. The building will be closed during the week in between the West weekends and your work will remain undisturbed.
- Can I create art in my booth?
Yes! We recommend that you bring some works-in-progress to display and/or work on during the weekend. Visitors love to learn more about your process and see how art is made. If you are working with paint or other messy materials, please put down drop cloths, etc. to protect our floor and walls.